Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Killers Discussion

In general, I thought that The Killers was a good short story.  I found it interesting but a little boring  that they kept repeating somethings they say, on example would be that they kept asking "what's it all about?".  I thought that the way that the characters spoke in this story was interesting because when the characters spoke, I knew what type of person the character was, for example, I knew when Al and Max were speaking that they had the type of dialogue as a type of gang members or something like that and when Nick and George spoke, they sounded like normal people.  I also liked how Al and Max gave the other people nicknames like bright boy.
Another reason why I thought the story was good was because of the lack of description.  Hemingway does not describe much about the diner or the characters.  You figure out who the characters are by the way they talk and their conversations, giving you the freedom to think of what the people look like.  Hemingway also keeps the characters in one general spot, so then you don't need to pay much attention to where they have been or where they are going.
The story line was interesting as well.  The story made me think and ask a lot of questions like why would two people who wanted to kill someone want to do it in a public place like a diner and tell the owner what there intentions were while they were eating and being so calm.  I also wondered why Ole Anderson was such a threat to the two guys and how the two guys knew he goes to that diner regularly if they never met the guy.  One final question I asked my self was, how did Nick and George know Ole Anderson and what did he do to have George and Nick want to protect him?
Overall I thought that I liked the story because it had unique dialect, gave you the freedom to imagine the characters and makes you ask questions while your reading.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment