Monday, January 12, 2009

Memento Mori

Overall I thought that Memento Mori was very good.  I found the layout of the story very different and it added to the story.  I liked it how the story was broken into two different types of writing that alternated throughout the story.  The "letter" part of the story was interesting because it just seemed to be out there but at the same time contributed greatly to the overall story.  The actual story was interesting because there some parts left out making you figure the rest out.   I think the reason why I liked this story so much was because it was nothing I've ever read, however if this was how all stories were written I would not have liked it.  This story is so different.
The letters that this anonymuos writer was writing were really intriguing.  I have been wandering all the time who this guy is, like is it the guy who killed his wife?  I think that it is funny how the guy pokes fun at Earl's handicapped, playing with his mind since he cannot make new memories and then ultimately play with your mind as you read.  The writer also pulls up good but funny points.  One thing I thought was cool was in chapter five, the guy talks about how teachers in elementary school train you to make notes to not forget things and then tells Earl that he has become that "product".
I thought that the actual story part of the story was interesting because even though it was a story, it was different, it made you think.  I like it how there was no real dialect or conversation, The description of the setting and writing on the post its explained everything.  I also liked how every beginning of the story was a new setting, and they did not directly tell you where Earl was but you had to figure where he was.  I also thought that it was ingenious how Earl developed ways to remember things like using post its and getting tattoos on his body.  I also thought it was cool how the theme of the story was time being put out of perspective.  Most of the time you don't know the time even though they tell you the time every scene, but you don't know how much time has elapsed between scenes.
Overall, I liked the story because it was different and made you think about what was going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment